Laziness prevents students from advancing
The semester is just about over and students are beginning to look for next semester's classes. Although many students simply pick the classes that fit their schedule, a lot of students have forgotten the true meaning of school and look for which classes require the least amount of work.
Although this lazy way of thinking is clearly present among students at Cosumnes River College, it isn't unique to community colleges. It seems to be at nearly every college.
Students place so much emphasis on the difficulty of a teacher that on ratemyprofessor.com, a site dedicated to feedback from college students, easiness is one of the five measures, along with hotness.
College is not meant to be a place where students come to relax and do as little work as they can while managing to get by. College is meant to give people a college education that they pay for, not some class we call a college level course when no college level work is actually required.
Community colleges are here to give students the equivalent of what they would receive had they gone to either a University of California or a California State University.
Educational degrees and certificates are essentially a way of proving that a student possesses a certain amount of knowledge on a given topic. The degree states that the student has put in the time and effort, and therefore knows a certain amount about that topic.
Easier community college classes are not the equivalent of classes at a UC or CSU, and degrees gained by taking these easier classes are bogus.
When students pick teachers who require little to no work they are not only cheating the school system, they are cheating the companies that hire college graduates.
When a company hires a student who has a degree or certificate, the company assumes that the student knows what the degree states they should know. However, when students cheat the system they don't truly know everything that they should. Instead, the students just know how to cheat the system.
Many students claim that finding the easiest classes to take is simply a requirement for the busy students.
Yes, many students have priorities that may overshadow school for the time being. Many have work or are eagerly searching for work. Other students have children and families they have to attend to. However, these priorities are no reason to cheat the school system.
College classes are designed for students to learn both in and out of the classroom.
For each unit, students are expected to put two hours of work outside of the classroom for each hour in the classroom. If a student has too many responsibilities outside of the classroom then he or she should just accept the fact that college is out of the question until some free time opens up.
Students, when you are signing up for classes, don't just pick the ones that are going to be easy and fun. Pick the classes that are taught by teachers who are known for being tough. Pick the classes that truly are challenging, the ones that are going to ask you to do more than any other class has asked you to do.
Yes, it is much easier to cheat the system by taking classes that require very little work and give you college level credit in the process. But when the easy class comes to an end you won't feel like you accomplished something that most were afraid to even try.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Connection News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE CONNECTION NEWS
RECENT THE CONNECTION CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus